Rabies is a deadly viral disease of animals and humans
According to the world health organization, annually in the world dies from rabies 55 thousand people . that is, one person in every 10 minutes. Economic damage this disease ranks fifth and is the tenth leading cause of death amongst infectious diseases. From 30 to 60 percent of victims are children under the age of 15 years.
Rabies is a deadly viral disease, the pathogen which attacks the Central nervous system and leads usually to death. Infection of humans comes from domestic and wild animals, mostly carnivores, as a result of close contact with infected saliva or bites and causing scratches.
The incubation period of rabies lasts from 10 days to 1 year (usually 1-3 months).
Clinical signs of the disease appear most often after 3 to 8 weeks after infection. A reliable diagnosis of rabies is established only in the laboratory.
In dogs and cats clinically distinguish two main forms of the disease: the lush and quiet. Often rabies can occur in atypical forms.
Clinical signs of rabies in humans. In the beginning of the disease in humans marked depression, high temperature and fever, itching at the bite site.Later manifested a respiratory embarrassment, fearfulness. Stage of excitation is characterized by a fear of water. At the end of the disease is paralysis of the muscles of the face, neck and tongue, followed by paralysis of the limbs and torso muscles.
The Rosselkhoznadzor administration for the Republic of Tatarstan in the prevention of rabies draws the attention of citizens to need the following simple but effective rules:
– immunisation against rabies domestic and farm animals;
– the maintenance in an appropriate sanitary condition of territories of the organizations, to prevent the accumulation of stray animals, as well as their penetration in basements, attics and other uninhabited premises;
– do not slaughter sick and suspect animals in the disease;
– import and export of animals be carried out only with the permission of bodies of state veterinary surveillance,
– timely notification of the state veterinary and medical services on incidents of contact with wild animals;
– observance of the rules of detention, confinement, registration and registration of dogs and cats;
is not admitted for export settlements prohibited the holding of exhibitions of animals; milk obtained from animals is used only after boiling.
In case of any suspicion of rabies should contact the regional state veterinary service.